Re: [Debconf-team] Travel sponsorship

Moray Allan <moray@sermisy.org> writes:

> It has been pointed out on IRC that for several years we have intended
> to push travel sponsorship processing earlier, and that it is possible
> we can actually do this somewhat for DebConf13.
>
> How much money is currently available that could be assigned to travel
> sponsorship?  (We don't need to have the cash available yet, only to
> believe firmly that it will be available by the time of DebConf.)

According to the DPL approved budget in the debconf-data SVN repository
(dc13/accounting/budget-8days-121126.pdf) there are 25k CHF of travel
sponsorship ready to be spent.

> I saw some suggestion that the amount of travel sponsorship might be
> relatively restricted.  I think that would be a mistake -- we have a
> venue to which many people can travel cheaply, so we should take
> advantage of that, to subsidise more of them who need it, who would not
> otherwise be able to come.  I think it is *far* more important to have
> many useful people attend than, for example, to add additional DebCamp
> days.  [But some "setup days" for genuine DebConf team people would be
> higher priority than travel sponsorship, in case that part is unclear.]

The 25k are about 40% more than we had for DC12. I don't know how much
we spent in the years before.

Your debconf secretary of the day,
Gaudenz

--