Re: [Debconf-team] DebConf13 open to the public?

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 3:02 PM, Daniel Pocock <daniel@pocock.com.au> wrote:
On 08/05/13 18:16, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> Raphaël Walther dijo [Wed, May 08, 2013 at 02:37:06PM +0200]:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> I have been asked by linux-neuchâtel (LUG): Does this conference is only
>> for developers ?
>>
>> After a discussion on IRC, I wrote this draft.
>>
>> "Although DebConf13 is the annual developers meeting of the Debian
>> Project and not a users conference, it is open to the public. If you
>> want to attend a talk on a specific day please register to the
>> conference with an arrival date equal to departure date."

I think we should stress that it is really helpful if people register
but they are not obliged to do so - emphasizing they will still be
admitted if they don't - it wouldn't be a truly `Free' event if there
was some obligation to give your name and IP address.

In the past, if memory serves, registration has been required to attend DebConf, but Debian Day has had laxer registration requirements (if at all.) That said, we probably wouldn't turn someone away, and probably allow late/on-site registrations, but I would not want to make the team's job of planning harder by encouraging people to not register.

>> Do you agree this is an appropriate answer ?
>>
>> Moray suggested also to put it on the website. Shall we put it on the
>> about.xhtml page?
>
> I agree it is right, but I would just add a note saying that it might
> not be interesting for the public at large, as the focus of the
> conference is not as much (although it always includes it somehow)
> about how to use exciting new technologies in Debian, but about how to
> make Debian better. People should check the list of talks for the day
> before going IMO.
>
> I don't know how to word this — But if we tell to anybody then can
> come, and they make a trip, just to find over-specific talks, they
> will be quite disappointed. And we don't want to disappoint people!

One solution would be to highlight events that are more relevant for
those people and/or steer them towards Debian Day.

Given the immense popularity of Debian in European countries, and the
decision to have DebConf in a particularly central location this year,
it will probably not be a big surprise if people arrive who are
potentially new contributors or advanced users.