Re: [Debconf-team] Online rooms booking systems

FWIW, I've been very DebConf-inactive lately... I am not happy with
the situation, and intend to change it soon, but have been able to get
out of the timesink :(

Thanks a lot for starting with this. This goes quite in line with one
of the possible courses of action we mentioned back in the
replace-penta meetings in Managua: Come up with a set of tools to do
the task, instead of one mighty great tool. The Unix way, yada yada.

> Why not ? That's definitely possible, similar to when you book a room for 4 in
> a hotel (afterall, hoteldruid is a software to manage hotels).
>
> How were we doing it with Penta ? With a comment in the registration form.
> Hoteldruid registration allows free-text comments. It's not harder.

...And having an already packaged, professionally used piece of code
to help us with ome of the most complex bits of the conference's
organization will be of great help, I'm sure.

> Well, hoteldruid is here _today_. Okay, maybe tomorrow as you'd need one day
> to actually enter the different types of rooms, link pictures and plans to
> them, put them in different categories, etc.

So far, DC13 seems to be the most complex DebConf we have ever had in
this regard. It has many room standards, and people have voiced
strongly their (adhesion|opposition) to different subsets of their
characteristics.

> To conclude: I think we can get 85% of what we want for rooms management in
> two days worth of work with hoteldruid. On the other hand (no offense meant
> here), we don't know yet if we'll work with Penta / Frab / Zookeepr (which I'm
> also currently trying to deploy) for the "conference orga tool", for which a
> "simple room allocation" addon would need to be coded.

Right, you are very right. I am *very* happy you are doing this. I
should be doing the homework I promised to Ganneff (packaging up the
Frab-bits to make it easier to deploy), but have not gotten around to
do it.