Re: [Debconf-team] Online rooms booking systems

Hi

We discussed the Online booking vs. manual room assignment question
yesterday during our meeting. We tried to look at it from a different
angle and to define what we have to guarantee from the participants
point of view and how this can be achieved with or without an online
booking system.

* People should know at registration time what they would get in each
  room category and how much they would have to pay for it.
* People should be able to indicate their minimum category. Maybe an
  additional preferred category would be helpful for manual room
  assignment.
* We have to  make sure no category is ever overbooked. So people should
  only be able to request a bed in a category if there is actually a bed
  available. At the minimum they have to know this before they book
  their tickets.
* People should be able to select their room mates.

We concluded that all these requirements are fullfillable in both ways.
We tried to list some advantages and disadvantages:

Manual room assignment
+ Very flexible
+ Already tried and working (but not for a venue like Le Camp with
  different room categories)
- A lot of work
- Errors will happen and people might get angry

Booking system
+ Booking the right room is completely in the participants
  responsibility, we don't have to infer from ambigous comments or take
  the blame if a room in the desired category is no longer available.
+ Less work for us once set up
- Technical solution not here yet
- Might have bugs and people will get even more angry
= Depending on the exact implementation might be difficult to book a
  room with the prefered room mates (privacy concerns).

Gaudenz