Re: [Debconf-team] DebConf13 accomodation/food/fees prices proposal

Hi Didier,

> My perception is that "sponsored accomodation and food" ought to be standard
> for most attendees at DebConfs. By publicising the costs and asking for
> donations (of the corresponding amount), we separate the questions of "being
> hosted and getting food" from "participating financially to DebConf" and allow
> rounded (-up or -down) donations without the need of invoicing too many
> people.

Are you sure that those people who want to give money to DebConf don't
want an invoice?
If we end up having to write invoices for arbitrary "donations" it'll
complicate things.

I think, I'd prefer to just let the attendee choose to pay food or
accomodation themselves instead of giving donations.

>> BTW I still think that giving a category name is bad taste. Really!
>
> As I explained on IRC, we talked about that at the meeting yesterday and we
> all liked these names, that's why they haven't been changed.
>
> But I can agree that these names can be confusing (because they are names of
> metal, as are sponsoring levels). I propose to use colours, but please make a
> proposal.

I'd prefer to not have colors/metals for the categories. Maybe just
give them letters like A,B,C... to make them sound more neutral.

>> I found complex and non-intuitive the way a person could financially
>> help DebConf (small amounts), without being a professional person.
>>
>> I think that we are forcing people to be full-sponsored (and I don't
>> like the donation, I prefer to pay partially my costs.).
>
> I guess we should bring this disagreement to a DebConf team meeting, but this
> work was based on the assumption that "conference fees" and "accomodation"
> were separated costs.

As above, I'd also prefer if attendees can choose which part they want
to pay themselves instead of giving donations.

Philipp