Re: [Debconf-team] Debian Conference

Sello Ditsoabare dijo [Mon, Dec 02, 2013 at 11:49:14AM +0000]:
> Dear Sir/Madam
>
> I hope you are well
>
> I would like to take this opportunity to introduce the Sandton
> Convention Centre, Johannesburg, to your organisation.
>
> The International Congress and Convention Association ICCA, whom we
> are members of, recently advised that the Debian has the next open
> date for a conference in 2015.  The Sandton Convention Centre
> therefore kindly requests for an opportunity to bid for the 2015
> conference to come to Johannesburg, South Africa.
>
> I have researched and checked for any South African member on your
> website ,however I did not find any .
>
> Dou you have any South African member that is affiliated ?

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your interested. We are certainly interested in
getting more options and possibilites. Hosting a DebConf in South
Africa will certainly be an interesting proposition, although I
believe it will be a tough call, precisely, because not having much
local population, the travel costs of getting us all over there will
be quite high.

We do not need to have local DDs in the country/city that hosts us —
In the past, we have had several very successful DebConfs with no
local DDs.

I *think* we do not currently have any DDs in your country, but again,
we are willing to work with committed user groups.