Re: [Debconf-team] DebConf14 Dates And Upcoming Decisions

On Tue, Oct 08, 2013 at 06:13:03PM +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> On Dienstag, 8. Oktober 2013, Patty Langasek wrote:

> > I propose Saturday 10/12 (THIS SATURDAY) at 12pm (Noon) PDT, which would be

> > 7pm (19:00) UTC, on the DebConf team IRC channel.

> sorry, thats too late for me this saturday. It will be the first day at home^
> win Hamburg since 3 weeks, so I'll be offline with friends at that time. A few
> hours earlier might work, but not sure. So please have the meeting without me.

A few hours earlier would be 7-8am PDT on a Saturday morning. I assure you
there's nobody on the local team that could make that. I'm sorry you won't
be able to make it.

If the time is too inconvenient for other global members, we can try to find
another time, but spread out across the world, it's not going to be terribly
easy to find something that's perfect for everyone. I was trying to avoid
work schedules and family dinners.

> I will try my very best to read+reply to mails til then.

> P.S.: more as a general comment, I try to announce meetings seven days in
> advance, using doodle or similar to find a good date for everyone...

And, I agree with this. I had hoped the mailing list discussion would be
more fruitful than it has been in the 1.5 weeks that it's been open.
Unfortunately, we need to make a decision, and it seems interest in the
thread has died down. If I'm incorrect in that, all the better to actually
have a meeting to make the decision soon while we still have the few ideas
proposed fresh in our minds.

It's been my experience (through work, DebConf, Portland SOC, etc.) that
meetings announced seven days in advance have little more promise for
attendance than meetings announced 3-5 days in advance, but we can consider
other alternatives, such as next Wednesday at 5pm PDT, which would be
midnight UTC.  Or, we could look at next Saturday, 19 October at noon PDT,
7pm UTC.

Would someone care to set up a doodle to find out what people find most
appropriate? Meeting later than 19 October for these decisions is not an
option.

Thanks!
Patty