Re: [Debconf-team] DebConf14 Dates And Upcoming Decisions

Good morning, everyone!

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 10:28:46AM -0700, Patty Langasek wrote:
> The time has come, my oyster friends, to speak of dates and things!

> Right now, we know we have the dates  24 Aug - 30 Aug, with departure of no
> later than 1 September 2014 for our official venue.

> Right now, we know the official venue (for talks and BOFs) is booked on
> either side of those dates during the week for other
> conferences/organizations, so for the rooms we need, we'll *have to* have
> talks scheduled somewhere between 23/24 August and 30/31 August.

> Right now, we know our accommodations will become limited starting on 1
> September 2014 (people are returning to school and the dorms will no longer
> be available to us at that time).

> Monday, 1 September 2014 is a US holiday, meaning our access to university
> personnel may be severely limited. (And people will need to keep that in
> mind for travel reasons; this is Labor Day in the US, and travel is
> *extremely* busy on this day.)

We're coming to the close of the period where we can comment this on the
list. It's rapidly approaching time that we need to sign with the University
to reserve our spaces for August 2014. I propose that we call an IRC meeting
to finalize the dates and discuss DebCamp and alternatives to DebCamp, and I
advise that those be the only agenda items for this meeting so we can focus
and get them resolved. (They're currently the most time-sensitive
outstanding issues.)

With the local team (currently) being in PDT and much of the global team
being in, well, not PDT, I also recommend we hold the meeting over a weekend
to accommodate as many time zone issues as possible without making people
sleep deprived.  :) Yes, I know this means cutting into social time, but the
alternative is going to be meeting times during the day that aren't possible
for working PSTers to attend, or in the middle of the night that won't be
possible for working Europeans to attend.

I propose Saturday 10/12 (THIS SATURDAY) at 12pm (Noon) PDT, which would be 7pm
(19:00) UTC, on the DebConf team IRC channel.

We can look for better times to accommodate everyone in the future.

Thanks, loves! Talk to you Saturday!
Patty

Patty Langasek
harmoney@dodds.net

At times, you may end up far away from home; you may not be
sure of where you belong, anymore. But home is always
there... because home is not a place. It's wherever your
passion takes you.
                                --- J. Michael Straczynski