Re: [Debconf-team] DebConf14 Dates And Upcoming Decisions

On Tue, Oct 01, 2013 at 03:12:48AM -0400, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> On 09/27/2013 03:47 PM, martin f krafft wrote:
> > also sprach Patty Langasek <harmoney@dodds.net> [2013.09.27.1928 +0200]:
> >> 2. DebCamp - yes or no? We do not have official venue (talk rooms)
> >>    for the week prior to our reserved dates (or the week after).
> >>    If we do have DebCamp, it will need to be restricted in number
> >>    and time (it won't be a week long).

> > I think we should stick with DebCamp and we should try as hard as
> > possible to make it as long as possible.

> > We do not need talk rooms for that, but we do need hack space for 80
> > people or thereabouts (with whiteboards ideally). And accomodation
> > and food.

> I also think we should try to retain debcamp if at all possible.  As
> someone who has worked on the network infrastructure for debconf in past
> conferences, debcamp is when much of the custom/specialized network
> setup and testing actually happens.

You'll certainly get no disagreement from me about the importance of having
reliable infrastructure for the conference, but sponsoring 80 people to come
in for a week and manually stress-test it before DebConf is a poor way to
accomplish that.  We can do much better - we have deep and broad
professional knowledge in Debian when it comes to infrastructure, and we
have a lot of time to get this figured out.  The venue is open to the
public, and we could start working with PSU's network team *immediately* to
identify any infrastructure shortfalls.  We just need someone with
experience running the DebConf network to lay out for us what the
requirements are, in black and white.

In fact, wiki.debconf.org seems like a nice place to record such things. ;)
I've created a blank page with some open questions; I would appreciate it if
those who have experience running the DebConf network would help fill it
out.

   https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/Requirements/Network

> If we only get access to the facilities the first day of debconf, i
> suspect that we will have a conference network much poorer than people
> have grown to expect.  We will probably also have a much grumpier
> network team (is that possible?) because setup work will take them away
> from the other scheduled activities of the conference itself.

> If we have no debcamp, does the PDX team have a proposal for how to get
> the conference network in place effectively starting on the first day?

DebCamp is NOT about DebConf setup.  We will ensure that the network and
video teams have all reasonable access for setup before the start of the
conference, and are prepared for the local team to act in an advanced
reconnaissance role wrt the venue facilities.  But let's not conflate that
with the question of DebCamp.