Re: [Debconf-team] DebConf14 Dates And Upcoming Decisions

On 09/27/2013 03:47 PM, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Patty Langasek <harmoney@dodds.net> [2013.09.27.1928 +0200]:
>> 2. DebCamp - yes or no? We do not have official venue (talk rooms)
>>    for the week prior to our reserved dates (or the week after).
>>    If we do have DebCamp, it will need to be restricted in number
>>    and time (it won't be a week long).
>
> I think we should stick with DebCamp and we should try as hard as
> possible to make it as long as possible.
>
> We do not need talk rooms for that, but we do need hack space for 80
> people or thereabouts (with whiteboards ideally). And accomodation
> and food.

I also think we should try to retain debcamp if at all possible.  As
someone who has worked on the network infrastructure for debconf in past
conferences, debcamp is when much of the custom/specialized network
setup and testing actually happens.

If we only get access to the facilities the first day of debconf, i
suspect that we will have a conference network much poorer than people
have grown to expect.  We will probably also have a much grumpier
network team (is that possible?) because setup work will take them away
from the other scheduled activities of the conference itself.

If we have no debcamp, does the PDX team have a proposal for how to get
the conference network in place effectively starting on the first day?

	--dkg