Re: [Debconf-team] Conference dinner menu

On Fri, Aug 02, 2013 at 08:01:20AM +0200, Raphaël Walther wrote:
> Hi Steve,
> On Fri, Aug 02, 2013 at 03:11:06AM +0100, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 02, 2013 at 01:03:02AM +0200, Raphaël Walther wrote:
> > > I need to choose in 11 hours and it looks like there is no consensus at all. So
> > > unless I received a clear choice from orga team until today at 10:00 GMT. I will
> > > go for menu 8.

> > Which is to say that, rather than finding a compromise option that everyone
> > is ok with, you'll pick the one that you originally thought was correct and
> > ignore the fact that some people have raised objections to it.

> I am not sure we can find a compromise which everybody is ok with 200-
> 250 people. There will be happy and unhappy people anyway. People who don't
> like seafood can still have a vegetarian menu if we know that in advance.

> > So, I don't know why you asked the team for their opinions at all.

> This is usualy what we do when we have to decide something.

The point of asking for people's opinions is as input to finding an optimal
solution.  You got input from exactly three people in this thread:

 - yourself, who prefers menu 8 and prefers to avoid the menus with pork.
 - Christian, who prefers menu 7 or 4 but finds 8 acceptable.
 - myself, who considers menu 8 unacceptable and is happy with any of the
   others.

This is not very many people to base a decision on, but it is the input you
have.  By choosing option 8, you are *overtly* failing to act on the
consensus.

So next time, if you're not going to listen to the team, how about if you
not waste our time by asking for input.  This will evidently give the same
outcome, except that I won't be pissed about being blatantly ignored.

> > Have fun on the boat without me.

> :/ hope you will change your mind.

Not bloody likely.  I don't consider either vegetarian or trout to be
an acceptable dinner option.  You are under no obligation to accomodate my
individual preferences; I'm only one person, and you may believe that I'm a
statistical outlier and therefore my preferences should not dictate the menu
choice for everyone else who doesn't agree with me.  But I don't think you
have enough information to draw the conclusion that I am an outlier, and I
think your conclusion is flawed; and in any case, just as you aren't
obligated to accomodate me, I am not obligated to attend this dinner.