Re: [Debconf-team] Lanyards, badge holders and badges

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 09:14:51PM +0200, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
> Hi all,

> following up on the discussion that happenned today on IRC, let me try
> to sommarize its origin and outcomes.

Thanks, OdyX. :)

> The situation is that we need attendee badges for all sorts of reasons
> and the usual way to do that has been that the conference would provide
> these individual badges, the badges holders and lanyards (usually). As
> these three things are separate, let's try to keep them so.

> a) Lanyards

> One of our silver sponsors is apparently happy to provide enough branded
> (not Debian-branded, sponsor-branded) lanyards for everyone, for free.
> Given that they are a sponsor already, I think it's sane to let them
> provide the lanyards to the DebConf attendees. For reference, a similar
> offer has been made by a Bronze sponsor.

> 	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lanyard#Badge_or_identification_holder

Both sponsors are happy to send us some lanyards for free. They didn't
suggest them, I solicited from *them* because I knew they had extras that
weren't in use. Both sponsors are also happy to ship them to the conference,
we just need an address where they can be received. Le Camp? Directly to one
of you guys in Swissland?

Taking into account some of the concerns voiced, I think having 2 different
kinds of lanyards available +/- "clips" for those who feel that wearing such
a lanyard is openly showing support for that corporation (which I disagree
with, but such is the argument) is a suitable compromise. For those who
prefer lanyards, they will be available. For those who don't, there would be
some clips available, correct, Cate?

Patty Langasek
harmoney@dodds.net

At times, you may end up far away from home; you may not be
sure of where you belong, anymore. But home is always
there... because home is not a place. It's wherever your
passion takes you.
                                --- J. Michael Straczynski