[Debconf-team] DebianDay, Debians 20th birthday, party! (Re: potential wider audience on weekends, Debian Day)

Hi,

I've just noted the topic "DebianDay - cancel?" for todays meeting, and while
anybody could have written this (so maybe thats just a suggestion from a
"slighty negative minded person" ;) it prompted me to finally write this mail.

On Friday, August 16th 2013 Debian will turn 20 years and many Debian
contributors will gather together anyway for this dc13 thing, so I think we
should definitly met and celebrate this!

And as we have video set up anyway, we should also stream this out in the
world and ask other Debian parties elsewhere to do the same, thus creating a
global Debian Day event, with local talks and local parties. (I dont suggest
streaming beer drinking, but rather talks during the day...)

And, I believe we should ask for help to organize the party. The DebConf team
during (and before!) DebConf is usually too busy to also organize meanigful
parties, so I'd suggest to ask for help on debconf-discuss@ and debian-
project@.

I'm aware of the schedules for both the 16th and the 17th (thanks to
http://people.debian.org/~tiago/dc13/) and think either day would be fine to
be called "DebianDay" with some tweaking.

This mail has been written in way too much hurry, as to send it at least a few
minutes before the meeting. Currently I believe it's best to label the 17th as
"DebianDay", shuffle _a few_ events around and invite the general Debian
interested public. And have the former formal dinner on the 16th, turning into
a party.

What do you think?

We still have 30 days to organize celebrating our projects 20th birthday, so
let's do it!

cheers,
	Holger

p.s.: AIUI we have a 5k CHF budget for it too and...

On Freitag, 12. Juli 2013, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> There have been a couple of mails about and I've also heard discussions
> from people outside Debian who think it would be cool to drop by and see
> a bit of DebConf

I can confirm this, I also know about such people...

> The convenient, central location, 20 birthday and the significant
> interest in FOSS around western Europe may well contribute to the
> "perfect storm" of unwanted attention or free publicity depending upon
> how you look at it.
>
> What is the general feeling about it?
>
> Are there any severe limitations, e.g. does the contract prohibit us
> having an extra 100 people on site during the day time?

I'd hope not.

> I realize accommodation and catering can't cope with sudden surges, but
> can the bar operate in a scalable manner (presumably raising some extra
> money for the budget too)?
>
> Could we possibly look at inviting a food van to come and operate nearby
> at no cost/effort to DebConf itself?
>
> Maybe we could steer people towards a particular day for this -
> Saturday, 17 August, as it is the last day, it won't impact productivity
> throughout the week so it might be suitable.

yup, sounds all good and doable to me. (Like always, on a best effort basis.)

> I'm not sure if there is a final decision about a Debian Day - I don't
> know if this would qualify as one or not and it doesn't really have to
> be.  However, that might be a convenient way to signal to people that it
> is the better time for them to attend if just coming for one day.
>
> Regards,
>
> Daniel

thanks for this reminder...