Re: [Debconf-team] Urgent: Dishwashing & Cleaning

On 08/07/13 20:37, Brian Gupta wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Patty Langasek <harmoney@dodds.net> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 08, 2013 at 07:57:07PM +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
>>> seriously, buy two dishwashing machines (max 1000€ total) and let them be
>>> filled by volunteers... 5k for dishwashing is like 3% of our total budget.
>>

>> This was part of a long debate - unless we have enough volunteers dedicated
>> to handling this, or people who will take responsibility in the event that
>> the volunteers ... choose not to complete this task, it's unreasonable to
>> expect that this will just get done.
>>
>> What this means is that for those volunteer hours, they will be dedicating
>> an hour or so after each meal to duties that should have been (and aren't,
>> so we're trying to cover it) included with catering.
>>
>> If this is the way we're going with this, we need to have the dishwashing
>> volunteer crew staffed and ready to start with the first full meal (lunch)
>> and finish with the last dinner, and someone to be responsible in the event
>> the crew can't manage the workload.
>>
>> Front desk will not be responsible for dishwashing.
>
> My two cents. I fully agree with Patty. Although it is expensive, it
> is time consuming and requires DDs to miss important sessions, which
> means having people volunteer for this is counterproductive to the
> mission of the conference. Thus, if we can find a way to afford it, we
> should definitely outsource this task.

I also think it is not productive - it is an easy task to outsource
compared to other duties that require more preparation and experience.
Given the cost of eating out in Switzerland, I suspect that very few
people will choose to eat off-site and there will be plenty of work
around the kitchen.

> That said, it does seem the hourly rates quoted seem high for the
> nature of the work, so it would probably be worth exploring lower cost

The dishwashing rates seem about right for Switzerland

The cleaning rates seem reasonable for a cleaning company.  I hear the
lowest cash rate paid to a cleaner is about 20 CHF/hour although many
refuse to work for less than 25 or 30.  20 CHF/hr is about the same as
the net rate the cleaner receives working through a company here.

The one thing not covered: do the companies involved guarantee to
replace the staff if they call in sick, etc?  Or do we need to commit to
hire extra staff to ensure that we always have N+1 redundancy?

None of these prices have changed dramatically in the time I've been in
Switzerland and I don't believe they are substantially different from
the time that the bid was assessed.