Re: [Debconf-team] Talk rooms in penta

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 09:44:27PM +0200, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:

> Hi Tiago
>
> Tiago Bortoletto Vaz <tiago@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > It seems we'll have two rooms with video coverage for talks + 1 possible third
> > room for informal meetings. Please correct me if I'm wrong. So, talks team will
> > be working on talks scheduling next days and we need at least two rooms added
> > in penta. Could any pentamaster perform this?
>
> Have you seen the mail I posted about 2 weeks ago about the room
> planing? I don't think we have settled anything yet and I did not get
> any feedback from the talks team about how many talk rooms they would
> like to have and about how many people have to fit into these. IMO we
> should first answer these questions before fixing the schedule and
> defining talk rooms in penta. Input from the talks team would be greatly
> appreciated.

Yes, we and some locals have talked about this in IRC, but we should have given
you a clear answer in that thread, as you've clearly asked for. Sorry, I'll try
to give some answers now:

(from http://lists.debconf.org/lurker/message/20130610.085553.4a441921.en.html)

- Are the capacity estimates sane wrt the room sizes?

A 200m2 should be ok for 222 people in a school room equipped with 18 inch
desks.  In a theater seats style it would fit ~300 people, as Le Camp has
stated. So, given the expected number of attendees it's enough to have a 200m2
room  plus a 150m2 room for talks. I've got measures from $weird_websites, but
they give more or less the same result. (eg.
http://www.csgnetwork.com/grouproommeetcalc.html).

- How many talk rooms and "official" hacklabs to we need? Are 2 talk
  rooms enough, or should we plan with 3 talk rooms?

We've already reached almost 100% of availability considering that two rooms
will be provided. So a third one would be great to offer for informal / last
minute meetings.

> There have been offers for video equipement for a third talk room. I
> don't know if anyone from the video team has follwed up on this. I also
> don't know if a third talk room would be desirable at all.

Video team uses to cover two rooms. For DC13 we have some extra-team people
offering their help and equipment which could cover a third room, but afaik we
can't assure now that it'll happen. So, lets assume two rooms with video
coverage + a third room (if possible) with no video.

Regards,

  .''`.  Tiago Vaz                                    GPG  :      1024D/A504FECA
 : :' :  http://acaia.ca/~tiago                       XMPP : tiago at jabber.org
 `. `'   tiago at debian.org                          IRC  :       tiago at OFTC
   `-    Debian GNU/Linux - The Universal OS               http://www.debian.org