Re: [Debconf-team] [DC14] Portland team: questions after reading the bid

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 1:31 PM, Jeremy Baron <jeremy@tuxmachine.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 10:12 PM, Ana Guerrero <ana@debian.org> wrote:
>> Can we count with the help of somebody specialized in visas and/or from the
>> Government to help us in some of the difficult cases?
>
> FYI:
>
> for a conf I worked on this past summer we had the US State Dept. as a sponsor
> of the conference. (we dedicated one track for part of the conf to be a
> Tech@State<http://tech.state.gov/> conference). so, with more than a few State
> Dept. contacts and the Secretary of State herself making a statement about the
> conference, still we weren't able to get any sort of help with visas.
>
> so, short version: don't expect any special help from the government.
>
> otoh, the previous year was in Haifa (Israel) and there we did get significant
> visa help from the government.

This may have been mentioned, but if memory serves, for DC10 we had
help from a FLOSS friendly attorney who specialized in
immigration/visa issues. I don't have time today to dig through old
emails, but will try to confirm by weekend. If someone reading this
has better memory feel free to chime in. (I'm mentioning it, because
perhaps, this person could help the Portland team.)

My apologies, if either this has already been mentioned, or my memory is off.