Re: [Debconf-team] [DC14] Portland team: questions after reading the bid

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 10:12 PM, Ana Guerrero <ana@debian.org> wrote:
> Can we count with the help of somebody specialized in visas and/or from the
> Government to help us in some of the difficult cases?

FYI:

for a conf I worked on this past summer we had the US State Dept. as a sponsor
of the conference. (we dedicated one track for part of the conf to be a
Tech@State<http://tech.state.gov/> conference). so, with more than a few State
Dept. contacts and the Secretary of State herself making a statement about the
conference, still we weren't able to get any sort of help with visas.

so, short version: don't expect any special help from the government.

otoh, the previous year was in Haifa (Israel) and there we did get significant
visa help from the government.

-Jeremy