Re: [Debconf-team] [DC14] Portland team: DebConf in the USA

On 03/16/2013 10:27 AM, Daniel Pocock wrote:

> The bid itself doesn't specify anything about the above, it just gives a
> link to DC10, which leaves me feeling that the bid team has
> underestimated the seriousness of these issues.
> https://www.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf10/VisaAndBorderIssues

The DebConf10 wiki page covered it thoroughly (including commentary from
different perspectives), so linking to that page seemed more sensible
than repeating all the info in the DebConf14 proposal.

I ran a 3000 attendee free software conference in the US from 2005-2010,
and have helped organize other smaller US-based free software
conferences for over a decade, and visas have never been a statistically
significant factor. There are a few odd cases, it's true, but they're rare.

It helps to have a letter of invitation from the conference, and I'm
happy to put in the extra hours to draft those for anyone who wants them.

Allison