[Debconf-team] Proposal for room allocation procedure

Hello World,

To prepare the prices and category meeting, I drafted a possible procedure for room allocation.

I think that the procedure should be decided from time to time in debconf-team meetings, and mostly after we have true numbers. The meetings are open, which would guarantee the transparency (and we'll discuss the methods, not the real people names).

So the proposal:

phase 1: registration: we offers the (to-be-decided in the other meeting) categories. No number restrictions on any categories. Possibly we publish regularly the statistic of required rooms in a report (like the darst's ones).

phase 2: we close registration, we block room selection (and sponsorship), and: - the bursary team select who will be sponsored (hopefully also about travel sponsorship) - the room allocation team will do the first draft of allocation, with the following priorities:
** special needs, gender, etc.
** date of registration
ev. also:
** sponsors (1 to 3 person depending the categories)
** paying person have more priority than sponsored people, on selected rooms. [ these two last point are IMHO also point to be discussed in the price meeting]

We send to the attendees the information about sponsorship status, and proposed allocated rooms (according preferences, availability and the priority). Only the category, we will not yet define the roommates.

phase 3: confirmation: People can accept our proposal, or they contact front-desk (or maybe direct in penta: "I confirm only if I get the desired room category").

phase 4: Removing the non-confirmed people from the room allocation, we try to improve the rooms according the initial preferences, and ev. ask confirmation to attendees.
The priority of phase 4:
** date of confirmation/mail to frontdesk (yes and maybe)
but IMHO without taking in consideration (either positive o negative) the "maybe".

Then we allocate the free beds for paying people (the late-registered people), like usual.

and finally the true allocation with names, according the usual rules (interest, age, languages,...).

It seems complex, but I hope only few categories will be overbooked, so it will be also easy to manage queues.

So the link with the category-and-price meeting is to define if/what priorities we should make (sponsor, non-sponsored). And if we should require professional registration in order to have a room (like on other debconfs) for late registrant. The rest is mostly technical and can be discussed later. (but if you have a better procedure)

ciao
	cate