Re: [Debconf-team] DebConf12 final report - Status and course of action

On 2013-02-04 12:42, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
What do we do here? The texts haven't been committed with a license attached and as far as I can see from the commit log, we haven't (yet) listed the
pictures origins or licenses. I see two ways forward:
a) make the whole report "All rights reserved, texts belong to their writers"
   (aka proprietary), copyright.tex file says only this.
b) ask all contributors if that's OKay for them, then put all the document under GPLv2, list the pictures origins and licenses in the copyright.tex.

We generally have tried to mention the license to people, but the main point I would make is that people have written the pieces specifically for us to (modify further and) use in the report. This is quite different from if we were taking pre-existing texts and wanting to use them. In terms of normal Debian processes, it's more like taking patches from the BTS than downloading software from the web.

For photos we often used pre-existing photos, and therefore we have always made sure to get specific permission for the use, and re-licensing, of each image. That's why when I wanted to add images quickly this year, I only used images from my own photo set, to avoid the delay of waiting for responses.

For the blog items for this year's report I asked each author for permission before including them -- dates of replies are noted in comments in impressions.tex

P.S. That makes me think that for future DebConf final reports, we should really make sure that contributors agree on the license when committing
     their articles.

Perhaps if we have a wiki page for claiming sections of the report again, that page could include a note on the licence.

(In practice I suspect that it is likely the only reuse of the material will be in the reports for later years.)

--
Moray