Re: [Debconf-team] DebConf13 accomodation/food/fees prices proposal

Le mercredi, 30 janvier 2013 10.12:46, Giacomo Catenazzi a écrit :
> > As I don't think we can really reach consensus on these two questions,
> > I've put these up for decision at the next DebConf team meeting:
> > 	https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf13/Meetings/20130211
>
> Thanks, but for preparation, can we discuss it to the list?

Sure. My above intention is to get to a decision point, where we eventually
vote (if we can't reach consensus), and get to other things.

> So why do you (generic) want to have categories names? I think at the end it
> is used only internally by us (and in one single point in the registration
> webform).

One misunderstanding is apparently the categories purpose: I always meant them
as "prices categories", similar to hotel room categories or stars.

Rooms are classified per "comfort": better comfort means higher price to pay
to get in the room.

> Also with categories, it seems that higher is better, but talking about
> room allocation on last DebConf, it seems that some of us prefer the
> smaller rooms, but many prefer to share with other people. And we should
> also encourage to book the two larger room (the never-ending party rooms).

I think that's orthogonal to the prices categories: these are basically
"roommate preferences" and "room choice within a category".

> IMHO contrary to the sponsor, we should not push people to pay more. The
> fee is only (IMHO) used to get a better feeling to people: it seems
> fairer (instead of asking: why he has a double room, and I got the
> biggest one).

I agree. I think it's also valid in the reverse scenario: "We were both
sponsored accomodation and yet he has a double-room and I'm with 19 smelly
geeks". By putting "similar comfort" rooms in the same category, we can avoid
frustration, both ways.

> In any case I strongly oppose to have categories on badges or in some
> prominent place.

Definitely agreed: that was never my intention at least.

> In summary: I don't see reasons: or it is internal notation, or we
> classify people.

In my view it's not any of these two. I see these category names as "short-
name explanation of what the price category actually means in terms of
comfort". Imagine that you register to get a room at DebConf and you can pick
a room but not all are equal; they have different prices. That's where having
handy and short references will help. As you wrote above "in one single point
in the registration webform".

But we have written too many mails about that bikeshed and I should really get
these "category description" pages written instead.

Cheers,

OdyX