Re: [Debconf-team] Online rooms booking systems

On 23/01/13 18:17, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
> Daniel Pocock <daniel@pocock.com.au> writes:

>>> I don't think we should automatically assign rooms.
>>> It's better if we let the attendees choose their own room according to
>>> availability.
>>>

>> Can we come up with some solution where people pay and then manage
>> their exact location/room mates through a wiki page?
>
> I don't think that's a good idea because a wiki does not ensure that no
> room will be overbooked or else enforce any allocation rules we might
> want to set. It will create a lot of chaos I fear.

I wasn't proposing a complete free-for-all

Another possibility is to use a shopping cart to sell the beds.  The
`stock level' feature of the cart software could be used to limit the
number of beds sold.  People then organise themselves however they like
through private communications (whether it be wiki, email or whatever)

The only risk is that people have to accept that if they don't organise
themselves into a group for a room, they will be allocated to any
available bed at random on arrival - but thanks to the stock-level
mechanism, nobody would miss out on the category of bed they actually
paid for.