Re: [Debconf-team] Online rooms booking systems

Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On Montag, 21. Januar 2013, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
>> in the context of using an online "rooms" booking system, here's the result
>> of my investigation:
>>
>> In Debian:
>>
>> - hoteldruid
>> 	http://www.hoteldruid.com/
> [...]
>> After looking at all those, I think we should try to adapt hoteldruid to
>> our needs; the fact that it is already in Debian is certainly a plus (even
>> if we might need to fork it to suit our needs). I will do a rapid intent
>> at configuring it with something similar to LeCamp accomodation options as
>> discussed and report back.
>
> what for exactly?
>
> having proper software for talk selection seems way more useful to me.
>
> oh, wow.
>
> +conference mgmt too.

I don't see why these two things are mutually exclusive or even related
at all (apart from participant registration and authentication). As we
already strugle to find a suitable conference management system I don't
think we should make the room booking dependent on it.

> but looking at online room booking systems now, wow. i definitly think this is
> going in the wrong direction. pen+paper^w a textfile in git and some rough
> process seems way more useful to me than what www.hoteldruid.com is
> offering.
>

> speechless,
> 	Holger

As OdyX I'm also a bit speechless. This idea is not new by any means. I
already brought this up shortly after the Le Camp decision as a possible
solution to allocate the rooms and to make the features of each option
as transparent as possible. If we want to do any of the things proposed
in the recent mailinglist thread or on the "accomodation improvements"
wiki page[1] I'm quite sure a textfile in git won't do it. Also
allocating the rooms by hand has as far as I know been a lot of work in
the past. Offloading that work to the participants sounds like a good
idea.

On a more general note (not related to Holger or this mail in
particular, only triggered by it) I would really like if people could
comment early on ideas presented on list and not wait until the last
minute to turn something into another direction. This is very painful
for everyone working on something. I'm absolutely not willing to go
through the same decision making process we had for the venue again. We
really need to improve this and have discussions about the general
direction of something early before a lot of work is wasted. So please
contribute your ideas or propose alternatives where you don't agree, but
don't just be silent if you disagree.

At the moment working on DebConf 13 is a bit frustrating for me as a lot
of decision we have to take should be taken by the DebConf team but
there is very little input from said team. This makes it very hard to go
forward.

Gaudenz

[1] https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf13/AccomodationImprovements

--