Re: [Debconf-team] A better budget analysis

On 07/11/12 15:00, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> Daniel Pocock dijo [Wed, Nov 07, 2012 at 09:24:57AM +0100]:
>>
>> I never said we should make a DebConf "just for the rich", I'm just
>> suggesting that we need to take a balanced approach and listen to
>> different groups.
>>
>> The current approach seems to be 2 or 3 locals won't come if it's not Le
>> Camp, but if it is Le Camp, then maybe 100 people less are sponsored
>> (according to Richard's calculations yesterday) and less people pay the
>> professional fee (based on feedback from various people on the list).
>
> Of course, we are making these numbers out of thin air. They make
> sense, and they are backed in calculations, but on our
> expectatives, both on sponsor income and in attendee category
> distribution... And we might be far off both.

There is a slight contradiction there - Richard's calculations are not
`out of thin air', they are based on quotes, evidence from past
DebConf's, evidence from other events in .ch, etc

> Daniel, the thing that worries me most in this decision, and that
> keeps me mostly-undecided (leaning on some aspects for Le Camp and in
> others for Interlaken), is a fundamental social issue, and an
> important part of what Debian is for all of us: Not to belittle your
> work, please don't read it that way, but... We *do* have a strong team
> of long-term involved locals, among the largest teams we have ever
> had, made of people who know DebConf as good as anybody, some of whom
> have been long involved in different organization aspects. The
> "historic local" team has a clear consensus for LeCamp, and pulling
> that from under their feet would amount to losing some of them for
> DebConf organization, maybe even for Debian work.

My goal has never been to pull something out from underneath anybody

If you look back to the original emails about Interlaken, you'll find it
was always clear to me that this would give us a better negotiating
position with Le Camp (e.g. to cut from 2 weeks to 1 week and thereby
sponsor more people for DebConf week).  So in the end, people could
still get what they prefer, but Debian gets a better deal financially.

> The team (you included) is made of a bunch of clear-minded,
> responsible individuals who are not into putting a rope around
> Debian's neck. I think that, if we are to come to a vote to decide
> this issue, I will vote with the majority of the local team.

I have made it clear in an earlier response to Raphael's earlier email
that I would be much more receptive towards the Le Camp budget if
funding is locked in from Neuchatel canton

That is not the first time I've tried to step back and look at it
objectively - I'm not fighting `for Interlaken' or `for myself', I'm
just trying to ensure the best deals are made before any signature.

As I'm not trying to `win' something, I'm in no hurry to see any
decision made either.  As Le Camp has agreed to wait until 30 November
for our answer, I think it is well advised to avoid something like a
`vote' as there is more time to find consensus and maybe get a better
deal, quite possibly with the venue that several people seem to prefer.