Re: [Debconf-team] A better budget analysis

On 30/10/12 03:20, Richard Darst wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This email is from darst (who takes responsibility for most editorial
> opinions) and hug, about budget things.
>
> Le Camp:
> - ~ 95 kCHF fixed costs, which about matches a "safe" initial
>   sponsorship estimate.
>   (65 kCHF all accom and 30 kCHF other)
> - This is with no attendees.  Each additional attendee costs ~225/week
>   (due to food only).
>   - Each extra professional registrant, (600 CHF/week), allows 2.6
>     attendees to come [so 1.6 sponsored attendees]
>     - But these 1.6 sponsored attendee-weeks must also cover DebCamp
>       people
>   - Each extra bronze sponsor allows 9 attendees to come, gold, 50 to
>     come.
> - This is with NO travel sponsorship at all.
>   - Each 10 kCHF travel sponsorship costs 45 attendee-weeks
> - There seems very little potential for reducing overhead costs (70
> - kCHF lecamp) or per-person (34 CHF/person-day food)
> - If we get to more than 400 person-weeks, per-person costs go up,
> - since we must pay more accom. (324 beds total, it is unlikely we'll
> - get to this much without > 100 at DebCamp).
>

> Interlaken:
> - ~50 kCHF of overhead costs (20 kCHF venue + 30 kCHF other)
> - Each attendee costs about 350/week (since we must pay per-attendee
> accom)

It would be interesting to see two variations of the Interlaken figures,
one without food, the other with food (and possibly a third variation
where we budget lunch only/no dinner, 20 CHF/day).  This would showcase
the inherit flexibility of the Interlaken plan.

> - The savings of overhead allow about 140 attendees to attend.
> - Each 600 CHF prof attendees allow 1.7 attendees to come. [so .7
>   sponsored attendees]
> - Each sponsor...
>   - Each bronze sponsor allows 5.7 attendees to come
>   - Each gold sponsor allows 34 attendees to come
> - This is also with NO travel sponsorship at all.
>   - Each 10 kCHF travel sponsorship costs 30 attendee-weeks.
> - Due to all the options and time before commitment, there is a lot of
> - potential to reduce the costs.
>
> Common to both:
> - We assume 100 kCHF income.  This is still quite a lot more than past
>   years, but not totally fanciful.
> - All "person-week" things above include DebCamp.  So if we can afford
>   150 person-weeks, that could mean 50 DebCamp and 100 DebConf only.
> - **NO* travel sponsorship included*!  This means this DebConf will
>   exclude many people who can't afford to come.  I think this is a
>   problem for both of these options so far...
>

> Comparison:
> - Le Camp and Interlaken cost the same for 360 attendee-weeks.  Below
>   this, interlaken is cheaper, above this, lecamp is cheaper
>   - Above 400 person-weeks, we have to pay per-person accom at le
>     camp, so it becomes more expensive.

In other words, Le Camp is only cheaper for 360-400 people, and ONLY if
those extra people all agree to sleep in tents.

> - According to these calcs, we need 133 professionals (at 600
>   CHF/week) to achieve 360 person-weeks at le camp (or lots of extra
>   sponsorship).  So given our likely situation, le camp remains more
>   expensive.

It has previously been speculated that the professional fee should ONLY
cover the actual per-person cost.  If professional fees subsidise other
attendees, it is more like the professionals are mini-sponsors and
should get to put their name and logo on the web site.  However, the
issue is more significant than that: by not reducing the fee, it
actually means less people will be tempted to self-pay and more people
will try to line themselves up for fully sponsored attendance.

> Notes:
> - Interlaken 350/week = CHF25 accomodation (including breakfast) +
>   CHF25 food (lunch+dinner) / day
>   - if we lower to food budget to CHF 20? CHF315/week

We had meals at the Chinese place by the station on Friday, main dishes
between 15 - 20 CHF.  People can get a 1.5L water bottle at CoOp for
0.25 CHF.  Therefore, I think the budget can be 20 CHF/meal maximum.