[Debconf-team] reports from Le Camp "BSP", part 1: Roundtable of preference of all people present

Hi,

so, this is a first in a serious of mails I plan to send tonight. Please don't
bother replying until I ask for feedback in "the final mail". I'm really tired
and highlighting and distracting me will make this take longer and steal from
my sleep later. And sending this mail in pieces will help me keep it short as
possible...

I'm sending this first, as it's ready to be send :) [note: and then wrote
several paragraphs first...]

On Sunday noon we held a roundtable, where everybody present explained their
opinion in 1-2 sentences, while Gaudenz took notes.  From the people speaking
here, Luca, Raphael, Gaudenz, Philipp and myself visited Interlaken on Friday.

On Saturday we had >5h RL meetings comparing and discussing
optimistic+pessimistic budgets for both Le Camp and Interlaken, thinking about
educated guesses for income via (which) sponsors and analysing the
negotiations with Le Camp, plus 100min IRC meeting and >2h raclette meeting.

The IRC meeting was done to kickstart the dc13 sponsorship efforts and to
define its workflows. And we definitly need more help there, so if you are
interested and want to join, please start with
http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/Fundraising

More summary of that IRC meeting is available at
http://meetbot.debian.net/debconf-team/2012/debconf-team.2012-10-27-13.08.html

On Sunday morning we started comparing advantages, disadvantages and risks of
both venues. After that we had the roundtable with the recommendations of the
meeting.

Michael: Le Camp because it keeps the original spirit of what we proposed in
the bid

Elmar: Likes Le Camp, but no experience with DebConf, most important it to
make it actually happen, does not know Interlaken, so hard to have a real
opinion

Axel Beckert: undecided, slightly prefers Le Camp, would prefer to resolve the
problems here instead of switching the venue

OdyX: frightened by the money we need, but this is not much better for
Interlaken, would prefer Le Camp for the same reasons as mentionned by Michael

Michele Cane: Prefers Le Camp, the only difference seems to be the flexibility
in the budget. But if we need to cut on the food we have failed anyway.

Gismo: clearly prefers Le Camp because that was the original proposal and what
he wants DebConf to be like. Not against Interlaken but cannot help as much
there.

Raphaël Walther: Prefers Le Camp because it's better for the community spirit,
easier to focus on working for Debian. Interlaken would be more like a
standard conference with a city with many posssible distractions.

Holger: Prefers Le Camp because it's the local teams preference and indeed a
very nice place. Thinks that the negotiation issues can be solved. Interlaken
would be suitable as well, but has more downsides. And then there are similar
worries/issues for both places: which mostly boils down to "money"...

Philipp Hug: Le Camp is nice, but from a finance and risk perspective
Interlaken would be better. Negotiating with the people in Interlaken seems
easier. So slight preference for Interlaken.

Gaudenz: Was worried last week and until yesterday that DebConf in Le Camp is
financially just not doable. But after yesterdays talks and calculations
thinks it will work. So preference for Le Camp. Thinks that if we drop Le Camp
we should also consider other options (like Fiesch).

cheers,
	Holger