Re: [Debconf-team] Debian Day: to be or not to be? (was Re: Cost reduction / shortening (was Re: not a registration fee, but...))

On 28/10/12 05:53, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> Moray Allan dijo [Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 06:59:34PM +0100]:
>> It is sad to say it, but it is clear that in most years Debian Day
>> hasn't turned out that well compared to what has been hoped, and
>> compared to the amount of work put into organising it.  It has taken
>> a lot of effort/attention from volunteers, but the attendance has
>> sometimes been very low.  In the last few years we have tried to
>> warn the local team members about this and encourage better
>> advertising longer in advance, but is it time to admit that it just
>> doesn't work well as a job for the DebConf local team or as part of
>> DebConf organisation?
>>
>> I realise that the obvious response to this message is "Oh, but
>> it'll work well *this* year", but we have said that a few times
>> before.
>
> Right, I'm completely with you in this point. I don't think DebianDay
> has brought any real attention to the project; maybe the biggest thing
> we have got so far (and I'm not belittling it!) was in Bosnia, where
> it was the day chosen by the Sprska Government people to "be
> there". But I do feel we are putting much effort with little gain on
> this regard. Also, *our* people don't often think DebianDay is
> something they should attend - Even if for some talks we always have
> some DDs present, but I don't think it has gained enough
> traction. Yes, some talks are in ${local_language}, which puts people
> off... But it's not interesting to most Debianers - Who are our main
> target. It might be, however, interesting to (mainly local)
> sponsors.
>
> OTOH, DebianDay is motivating to the local team, who often want to
> show what they are into to their fellow local geeks.
>
> So, we could (maybe for DC13, maybe for the future)

Just when considering these options, please also remember that with
Interlaken, the Jungfrau Park is booked on 16 August.  That could be a
Debian Day (in a more central location, e.g. Aula or Kongress Centre) or
a day trip.

> - Cancel DebianDay

This would particularly be an option if Le Camp or another remote venue
was chosen

> - Get a national or regional Free Software conference to happen
>   adjacent to DebConf. We did his in Brazil, and it was very
>   fun... Sadly we have not been able to replicate it.

Interlaken would be ideal for that, anyone from the major Swiss cities
(Zurich, Geneva, Bern, Basel) can easily come just for the day or the
weekend, and the venue is big enough for over 1,000 people.  E.g.
DebConf could run 11-15 August and a bigger conference could run 16-18
August, with Debian Day on 16 or 17 August