Re: [Debconf-team] DC13 cost reduction / additional income idea 2 - food

Gaudenz Steinlin dijo [Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 11:57:06PM +0200]:
> *** No/Less sponsored food ***
>
> Not providing food at all or just some meals (breakfast and/or dinner).
> This means that one or two meals per day have to be paid by the
> attendees themselves or they just don't eat that meal. This is easier
> with the Interlaken proposal as there are restaurants around where
> people can eat instead. For Le Camp this would probably mean that the Le
> Camp cooks would cook anyway but attendees would have to pay the costs
> themselves. We would have to find a way with the Le Camp staff about how
> to make this work. Worst case we would pay for everyone but only get
> money from those that actually eat the meal.

Hummm... This option is *not* attractive to me at all. Removing food
sponsorship is, right, transferring this expense directly to
attendees. Yes, we would have the option not to eat at all, or to eat
once a day - but I doubt many people would be satisfied with it.

> On the other hand as for Le Camp all the money flows through DebConf it
> would be possible to partially sponsor the meals (say attendees pay 10%
> of the costs).
>
> Example costs for cheap restaurants in Switzerland:
> Kebab (Döner) plus Coke: ~12.-
> Coffee plus Croissant: ~6.-
> Breakfast: 10.- - 15.-
> Simple pizza plus drink: 20.-
> Normal simple meal (simple main dish, salad) with drinks (3dl mineral water
> plus coffe): 30.- to 40.-
> more sophisticated dinner with wine and two courses(no longer in a cheap
> restaurant): 60.- - 100.-
>
> Doing this might reduce the number of attendees, because some might just
> not be able to afford paying for food themselves. This in turn would
> increase our per attendee costs. Overall we could save as much as about
> 100'000.- CHF if we don't pay for any food at Le Camps prices.

Right, those costs seem really ridiculous for some of us. I usually
pay around 5 to 15% of those prices for food at (small) restaurants at
home! Yes, I would be willing to pay the ~10% you suggest (which would
amount to a similar spending as eating at a restaurant here, but its
impact in the DebConf budget would be IMO not enough.

> A variant of this is to just have Breakfast and Dinner at Le Camp and to
> have Sandwiches (ingredients provided by Le Camp, made by the attendees
> from a buffet) for Lunch. This would recude the costs by 6.- per
> attendee and day and save us 15% on the food costs. The price of 34.- is
> in the contract proposal but we did not yet ask Le Camp if they would
> agree to do this for all the days or if this is only for those days
> where we eat somewhere else (daytrip).

Right, this *would* be most accetable for me. We don't have to provide
fancy food at all - we just need to ensure people are not hugry. It's
perfectly acceptable for me to give boring food - even more if we
allow for people to buy something tastier/fancier if they so wish.

I understood Le Camp don't want us to self-provide anything that
touches their kitchen, but if they allowed us to buy by ourselves and
offer (ideally) cereal, milk and fruit, it would be great. And yes,
one (decent) sandwich and one real meal per day would be enough.

But yes, it has been frustrating (although understandable, of course)
to see how Le Camp are not willing to negotiate on their kitchens.