Re: [Debconf-team] Minutes meeting with Le Camp, Thursday 25-10-2012

Hi there!

On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 10:00:25 +0200, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
> Richard Darst <rkd@zgib.net> writes:
>
>> On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 05:17:07PM +0200, Michele Cane wrote:
>>
>>> * Optic fibre investment (100k CHF).
>>
>> Thinking about this... part of the reason it costs so much to us is to
>> recover this investment.

This is plainly wrong: negotiations started before the fiber was there
and the prices we got at the very beginning (which as I understood were
already the minimum needed to keep Le Camp working and "profitable" for
the foundation) were independent of any future investments.

>> If we could have a workable, but not
>> super-fast, net connection, and 95 kCHF cheaper, we would do it,
>> wouldn't we?
>
> The problem is that they already built the fiber optic cable. But as
> they told us they wanted to improve the connection anyway and just took
> the expectation of DebConf to speed up the decision. Also they did not
> consult us before investing this large sum.

IMHO this is also our fault: we proposed to help them, but we did not
push further, i.e. we simply waited for them to contact us back.

Please also remember that we asked them several times about the fiber
plan, clearly stating that the fiber was a condition sine qua non
DebConf13 could have not happened there.

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca