Re: [Debconf-team] DC13 cost reduction / additional income idea 3 - bed upselling

On 2012-10-24 23:01, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
*** Bed upselling ***

At both currently proposed locations there are several different
qualities of beds (smaller rooms, more comfort, tent vs. indoors). We
could just provide the lowest category of beds to sponsored people and
ask anyone wanting a better bed to pay extra.

We have done similar things before, and I think it's ok in principle, but we need to be careful about not upsetting attendees by getting practical details wrong.

One problem that can arise is if attendees pay for beds, then don't like what they see. We can write a cancellation policy that stops them getting their money back, but that doesn't really solve the issue.

Another potential problem is setting appropriate pricing to raise the right amount of money and allocate the limited supply of genuinely better beds to the right people. The economically correct answer would be a simple auction system, but I can foresee that generating some complaints....

--
Moray