Re: [Debconf-team] Balmer's quote added to SVN

On 20/10/12 16:29, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
> Le samedi, 20 octobre 2012 14.03:15, Daniel Pocock a écrit :
>
>> Average rate is 25 CHF/night including breakfast and bus pass.
>>
>> I believe this is highly competitive, as they would normally charge
>> higher rates for the smaller rooms, but they are just giving us an
>> average rate.
>>
> Indeed. I must admit I'm positively surprised.
>

>> They ask for us to promote their adventure/excursion bookings
>> exclusively.
>>
> What does this mean exactly? Do this imply actually buying some excursions
> from them?

No - it just means that if some other local businesses offer us money to
promote similar services on the DC13 web site, we have to say no.

I've already explained to Balmer's that people use their own money to
buy optional activities (like the bungee jumping) and that the DebConf13
budget only pays core expenses.  One of the reasons they are offering us
a discount is because they are optimistic about the possibility that
Debian people will be enticed to spend money in Interlaken.  Obviously
it is in our best interests to try and gather documents that support
this perspective as such things may also attract subsidies from the
cantonal tourism/marketing office.

> And what does this "average" mean? Can we take only the cheapest rooms to
> lower it?

I'm not quite sure, but I think it just means every bed will be the same
rate, making the calculations simpler for them and for us.

The best way to take this further will be

a) for Monday's meeting to confirm that we can negotiate with Balmer's
more formally

b) Friday's meeting in Interlaken we can then try to work out exact
contract terms - the more people that can be there the better.  I'm also
happy to sponsor a SIP conference call for Friday so people can
participate remotely.