Re: [Debconf-team] budget and number of attendees

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 08:41:17AM -0600, Felix Delattre wrote:
> On 06/09/2012 04:13 PM, Richard Darst wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was looking at the budget.  Has anyone synced the number of people
> > we are planning to pay for with the number of attendees?
>
> Yes, I updated the budget a couple of days ago. Including 121 persons
> (sponsored accommodation) + 21 persons (prof. and corporate registration).

Oh, I didn't sum up the numbers of people in hotels.  That is good,
thanks!  But as my other message shows, lots other ask for accom,
too.

I am having trouble finding the 121 + 21 number, but it has change a
bit since then, so that isn't surprising.  Don't forget to include
"attend=true" or else you'll get people who are marked as not
attending (if some of these actually meant to attend, that is even
worse for us!)

Right now, for conf=dc12, accom=regular, attend=yes, I see
3 corporate
18 professional
105 Basic + want sponsored food & accom
10 Basic, want sponsored accom

(and
5 Basic + want sponsored food
19 Basic, no sponsorship
)

So we are down to 136 now, plus a few more from the last two, plus
some more money from people who pay from the last two, plus a few more
who we add to sponsored category.  This level of uncertainty is about
where we usually are a few days before reconfirmation, so don't feel
bad.

( for reference, reconfirmed+attend+accom+dc12 is corp:1 / prof:16 /
spons:55 / accomonly:10 / foodonly:3 / basic:8)

> > The budget lists income from prof/corp people.  Thus, we can look at
> > the total cost of all rooms anyone asks for (we don't need to separate
> > sponsored from unsponsored when deciding how many rooms we need to pay
> > for).  However, some people are requesting rooms and they are not
> > corporate, professional, or sponsored.  These people may not know they
> > will be expected to give us money.  If they will give us money, it
> > isn't included in the budget.  It is likely a lot of them will decide
> > they don't want our accom once they are asked to pay.  What are we
> > doing about this category?
> You are right and I think not all of the team and even less of the
> participants were really aware of. I would say that we should write them
> and ask, whether they want accommodation from us or look on their own
> for their place to sleep.
> I'd suggest to wait till reconfirmation ends and we have concrete
> numbers how much accommodation would be.

I might work on this ASAP.  We will want "final accom numbers" as soon
as possible after the reconfirmation deadline, and needing to deal
with all of these people will slow us down.  Also, we (and they) want
reconfirmation to be the "final confirmation", as in, hopefully
nothing will change.  If we have a possible flux of 40 people after
that, both us and they will be disappointed.

- Richard