Re: [Debconf-team] Sponsorship deadline

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 11:24:17AM +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> On Mittwoch, 23. Mai 2012, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > Or they might be people who want to have accomodation in the main location
> > for DebConf but want to pay their own way?  And have not marked themselves
> > as 'Professional registration' because they're employees of a company
> > that's already a silver sponsor, so it doesn't make sense for them to (as
> > individuals) agree to pay extra but it also doesn't make sense for them to
> > take sponsored accomodation?

> so where+how do you think these people expect to get beds? & who will pay
> for those?

Well, ideally (from my POV):

 - they pay for the rooms
 - DebConf facilitates organizing these rooms

I trust the DebConf team to know the best way to accomplish this.  This
doesn't *need* to be anything more than a link on the website telling people
"this is the hotel where you should book your accomodation if you're
arranging your own room".  It's just that in the past, people arranging
their own rooms have tended to end up in a hotel far removed from the heart
of the conference; so some support from the DebConf organization in
arranging the accomodation would really be welcome.  For most conferences in
the US, for instance, the conference organizers will reserve a block of
rooms with the hotel, give attendees information on the conference website
about how to book them, and release any unused rooms X days before the
event.  But even if it's just telling us which hotel to book ourselves at
which will have rooms available, that's something.