[Debconf-team] DebConf13 next steps

(CCing debconf13-ch@lists.debconf.net, but please don't expect anyone
to do that in future -- discussion should move to the main
debconf-team list now that you won the bid.  We should probably also
create a debconf13-localteam@lists.debconf.org for more detailed
discussions on venue points etc.)

Hi,

As has been discussed a little already, it would be sensible to get a
DebConf13 sponsorship brochure ready soon.  We will need to raise a
lot more money for DebConf13 than sponsorship brought in for the last
DebConfs.  A couple of points in relation to that:

* It does _not_ seem sensible to contact regular DebConf sponsors
about DebConf13 until they have already arranged sponsorship for
DebConf12.  We still need to raise a lot of money for DebConf12, and
we don't want to risk them deciding to just sponsor DebConf13 instead.

* However, we should aim to ask for DebConf13 sponsorship from those
regular sponsors around the time that DebConf12 happens, rather than
waiting until the start of next year.  They won't all be ready to
agree at that time, and we will probably need to repeat the queries a
few times, but for many sponsors asking at the start of the calendar
year is too late, and sponsorship budgets are allocated about a year
in advance.

* A clearer target for now is very local sponsors, including ones not
directly related to free software, who will sponsor because the event
is in Switzerland, but wouldn't sponsor any event in Nicaragua.

* Although it's likely to be Swiss local-team people who are focused
on this for now, any approaching of sponsors should be done within the
sponsorship team, and the usual central sponsorship team records
should be kept up-to-date.

More generally, the DebConf13 local team should be embedding itself
within the current DebConf teams, so that nothing comes as a surprise
to you next year (and of course, so that you can share your wisdom
this year too).  While I realise that we don't need to teach the Swiss
about organisation, this is something that we ask of every local team.
:)

--
Moray