Re: [Debconf-team] Question for DebConf13 bids: Costs

[Resent, it seems that mailmain ate the mail sent the previous week]

On 25.01.2012 20:32, Moray Allan wrote:
It appears (sponsorship team please correct me here), that the
monetary sponsorship brought in for DebConf11 was less than €40 000.

DebConf13 bids: if approximately that amount of money was brought in
from the traditional category of DebConf sponsors, how would you make
the finances balance to allow DebConf to happen in the venue you
propose?

Answers might include suggestions of how to reduce costs by going for
less desirable options or removing some items from the budget, and
more-than-speculative possibilities for obtaining local sponsorship,
possibly in-kind.  Simply saying "we will raise much more sponsorship"
does not answer the question. :)

We hope in more sponsors, and possibly we could ask to debian.ch donors to give something for DebConf.

Our budget (in wiki) is set as the maximum costs, we could have some discounts from camp, it seems also that we can have the refund of VAT (but the VAT is low in Switzerland).

Anyway, the venue + accommodation are cheap. About food: we have the option to cook ourselves (by finding volunteers to cook for many people). In this case I think we should divide people: sponsored and non-sponsored, not to cook too much or maybe we can use this option only for lunch, or only for some days (an outside grill party, ..).

Other options:

- raise the prices for non sponsored attendee

- sell more debian.ch stuffs (with a "debconf tax") (see e.g. our T-shirt, umbrella, knives). But so debian.ch should take the risk to have unsold stuffs, and anyway I would not count for much income.

- because there are no bars and restaurants nearly the camp, we could set a debian tax to beer and other stuffs (anyway I expect that such drinks will costs less than in normal bars).

- debcamp in Zurich or Geneva and using the bunkers for accommodation and university for network + rooms (but network and video team will have less time to setup stuffs). Or using only few building for DebCamp and share the campus with other groups.

- In emergency we could move debconf to Geneva or Zurich: bunkers + university (but venue and bunkers are far).

Other ideas?

ciao
	cate