Re: [Debconf-team] LeCamp - Approval of budget and signing the contract

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 04:01:14PM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> Modulo all the above, which I'm confident you will take into account,
> I'm happy to approve the proposed budget.

I've been asked to provide some clarifications on the meaning of the
above. Also, as it is the first year we do this budget approval step, I
guess it's useful discuss some of the related details. So here we go:

- the "modulo all the above" part was a (supposedly nice :)) way to
  attach specific conditions on the budget approval. Nothing special
  here, the same routinely happen for budget/expense approvals in other
  contexts (sprints, hardware, etc.)

- obviously, budget approval would be pointless if, once approved, there
  is the freedom to change it completely by, say, buy champagne bottles
  instead of organizing debconf13 :) I confess I don't have a clear
  idea, yet, of how subsequent budget "patch" approvals should work
  without being a PITA for either the debconf team or the DPL. Some rule
  of thumbs that would work might be:

  * changes that reduce the overall budget -> don't bother
  * +5% changes max (increasing the deficit) -> don't bother
  * "material changes" (I've been told this is an actual bureaucratic
    term in some countries, but I'm no expert…) -> better safe than
    sorry, so please ask

  I understand that point (3) is extremely vague, but rest assured that
  it is *not* my intention to force the debconf team to seek DPL
  approval at every change. I rather just want to give the feeling that
  for relevant changes we should talk to each other. I guess that with
  experience, and likely by trial and error, we can come up with
  criteria that work for everybody.  I also realize that, being this the
  first time we introduce such a step, it might take more than 1 year to
  converge to a complete implementation.

Cheers.
Debian Project Leader . . . . . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .