[Debconf-team] regarding dc13 location...

Hi,

I've tried to not express an opinion about venue decisions, because it
is too controversial and I would rather focus on making all options
better.  However, I think too many people are being too silent about
their preferences, and that's leading to appearance of overall
support, and hidden factionalism in lots of private conversations.
This email is designed to be public and hope to put a little bit of an
end to that factionalism.

I'd rather attend a DebConf in a populated area.  I'd be more likely
to go if it was in a populated area (out of general principle), but of
course since haven't been coming anyway that is only of limited use.
By many accounts, our other options (costing either the same or less)
have a lot of overall positives for normal attendees, and thus I am in
favor of it.  I'm also sure that no matter where we go, we'll make the
best of everything.

A lot of my previous statements shouldn't be taken as criticizing le
camp.  Producing a plan that is more flexible to whatever the actual
income is does that.  More troubling than money was rejection of
any attempt to adjust the contract to make it more suitable for
DebConf (less time).  Now that hug has tried talking to le camp, it
seems like it is pretty easy to make things better.
I think the sense of "not enough locals" to help on le camp is due
mostly to the factionalism.  There hasn't been an actual decision
made, all previous decisions on this topic were made under duress: "if
you pick anything else there won't be DebConf" and similar things,
which I think isn't correct.  A similar thing goes for urgency of
signing sooner as an argument against any rational comparison of
venues.  If there wasn't such a divisive atmosphere and we could have
actually presented all options moths ago, we wouldn't be here.

So, I think the rambly point of this email is to encourage people to
voice their actual feelings, and not be put back by backlash that
occurs when doing it.  I'm going to keep doing what I have been doing
and try to stay out as much as I can (aiding all options), and what we
actually do depends on what others think...

- Richard