Re: [Debconf-team] DebConf13 decision meeting: past and present

On 23/11/12 20:29, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 06:20:35PM +0100, Ana Guerrero wrote:
>
>> If it isn't in the contract, we can not know for certain we'll be able to
>> camp. The responsible of Le Camp has a board behind of him who can overrule
>> him or he can decide for whatever reason he is finally not happy with it.
>> This is very clear in the "conditions générales".
>>
> I admit that when reading this list I have the feeling that non-Germans
> start showing behaviour Germans are famous for while native Germans stop
> taking every single word of such contracts as if graved in stone.  That's
> a bit funny.

It is very serious though.  As software developers, we should be used to
thinking about the edge cases.  Does your daemon process crash horribly
when the disk fills up?  Does the written contract bite us if a
neighbour complains about unsightly tents and Le Camp's management
suddenly tells us to remove them?

Nobody knows what might happen (neighbor complaining, Mr Pianaro changes
job, etc) but if we can see an obvious gap in the contract now, there is
no good reason to ignore it.

>>> And people won't be "surrounded by people 24/7", that's again a biased way to
>>> put it.
>>>
>> If the only way you have to be 5min alone is going alone in the forest, I have
>> not words...
>>
> Thinking back all DebConfs I joined ... hmmm DebConf 3 in Oslo I was in
> a hotel with my family - but even there were DebConf people.  Sooo
> DebConf is actually not the place where you will be *alone* and from all
> what I have read here from people who visited Le Camp I do not see a big
> difference regarding staying separate from other people to any other
> DebConf.  From my perspective the only way to be alone is to *start*
> running with Christian and finally give up after some time - then you
> will be alone.

Ana's point is that some people would like to go to their room and not
be disturbed.

Some people would also like to travel with a partner and have a room.
At Le Camp, such a person has to pay corporate or 2x professional fee to
get a dedicated room just for them self and their partner, when a normal
hotel only charges a room rate (not per-person).  If somebody is coming
half way around the world to DebConf, maybe they are also having a
European vacation with their partner, but during the DebConf days they
will have inconvenience.

So Ana's point is very valid.  There are certainly people who will be
satisfied with Le Camp's accommodation, but there are also people who
will not be, and those people will have no other sensible options.