Re: [Debconf-team] A better budget analysis

Daniel Pocock dijo [Wed, Nov 07, 2012 at 09:24:57AM +0100]:

> I never said we should make a DebConf "just for the rich", I'm just
> suggesting that we need to take a balanced approach and listen to
> different groups.
>
> The current approach seems to be 2 or 3 locals won't come if it's not Le
> Camp, but if it is Le Camp, then maybe 100 people less are sponsored
> (according to Richard's calculations yesterday) and less people pay the
> professional fee (based on feedback from various people on the list).

Of course, we are making these numbers out of thin air. They make
sense, and they are backed in calculations, but on our
expectatives, both on sponsor income and in attendee category
distribution... And we might be far off both.

Daniel, the thing that worries me most in this decision, and that
keeps me mostly-undecided (leaning on some aspects for Le Camp and in
others for Interlaken), is a fundamental social issue, and an
important part of what Debian is for all of us: Not to belittle your
work, please don't read it that way, but... We *do* have a strong team
of long-term involved locals, among the largest teams we have ever
had, made of people who know DebConf as good as anybody, some of whom
have been long involved in different organization aspects. The
"historic local" team has a clear consensus for LeCamp, and pulling
that from under their feet would amount to losing some of them for
DebConf organization, maybe even for Debian work.

So not only would it be losing very important, proven, long-term
contributors, but in a worst-case scenario, we would be left (again)
with a local organization team consisting of only you... Or you and a
couple of angry, disappointed other locals, who would probably be
happy to reiterate that "had we been at LeCamp..." over and over.

The social issue is worth some money and some discomfort. Yes, the
differences at the levels I expect us to reach (150-200% of DC12
sponsor money acquisition) favor economically the Interlaken proposal,
but that still leaves me feeling we are at a tie.

The team (you included) is made of a bunch of clear-minded,
responsible individuals who are not into putting a rope around
Debian's neck. I think that, if we are to come to a vote to decide
this issue, I will vote with the majority of the local team.