Re: [Debconf-team] Shortening the sponsorship brochure

Hi there!

On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 22:35:07 +0200, Luca Capello wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Oct 2012 13:14:41 +0200, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
>> I know I'm very late with this. But IMHO the sponsorship brochure got a
>> bit too long. I tried to shorten it a bit and propose the following
>> patch.
> [...]
>> - Further down I moved some text around and tried to condens it
>>   somewhat. IMO we have too much and too verbose rationales for
>>   sponsoring. I guess that most of this is known and obvious to most of
>>   our sponsors. They already know that Debian is a volunteer effort and
>>   the know that they can gain reputation in the Linux and Free Software
>>   community by sponsoring events.
>
> IMHO your reasoning is biased towards IT sponsors, which *should*
> already know Debian or, at least, the Free Software movement.  However,
> all other possible sponsors (e.g. municipalities) could not be
> completely up-to-date, thus being verbose is the Right Thing™.  So while
> I like the idea of a shorter brochure (and FWIW I also prefer an even
> number of pages), my fear above remains.
>
> Never mind, I ported your patch to the latest SVN (r3742) and compiled
> both PDF versions to be compared (we need to do small adjustments
> regarding the layout, though):
>
>   <http://people.debian.org/~gismo/DebConf13.ch/brochure_r3742.en.pdf>
>   <http://people.debian.org/~gismo/DebConf13.ch/shorten-brochure_r3742.en.pdf>
>
> Comments and suggestions are welcomed!

Given that no one disagreed, I applied Gaudenz's shortening fixes:

  <http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debconf-data/dc13/sponsorship-brochure/brochure.en.tex?r1=3744&r2=3745>

As I previously wrote, I added small layout adjustments and also merged
the 'Reasons' and 'Budget' sections, since there is no point in having
the latter with a single paragraph.  And IMHO the former section has now
a sort of continuum WRT paragraphs: sponsor view -> value -> need.

  <http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debconf-data/dc13/sponsorship-brochure/brochure.en.tex?r1=3745&r2=3746>
  <http://people.debian.org/~gismo/DebConf13.ch/brochure_r3746.en.pdf>

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca