[Debconf-team] sponsorship / budget / registration fee

These discussions have been on IRC again and appear to be circular
dependencies

These appear to be the key facts:
- Le Camp contract: 160k CHF, with 60k to be paid by non-refundable
installments well in advance, and if we don't come up with the other
100k by July, no DC13
- DC12 had less than that (I'm not sure if I can quote the figure here)

and then:

<darst>  would people like me to do an detailed outside analysis of the
financial viability of debconf at le camp and report on what I find ?
<bremner> I would.
<darst> (because it would be a lot of work, so I'd like a few people to
support before I start)
 bremner: thanks
 (also I may ask a lot of questions to the team)
--- paravoid_ is now known as paravoid
<h01ger> darst, /me absolutly too!
 +thanks already! :-)

I'd like to propose terms for such analysis, questions that every one of
us can ask ourselves:

a) will the funding approval from Swiss foundations be confirmed (or
denied) before the first payment deadline of 20 December?

b) how to make a final decision on the registration fee?  Is a single,
isolated vote on the issue OK?  Or should it be up to each local team to
make such things part of their bid if they wish, and if the community
accepts a bid like that, so be it?

c) does everybody unanimously commit to raising 160k CHF or more?

d) if DC13 had a 100k CHF budget shortfall, and Debian had 100k CHF in
the bank today, would it be desirable for it to go into DC13 and fill a
budget shortfall, or would there be better uses for it?

e) if you had 100k CHF in your personal bank account and were personally
donating it to Debian, how would you want it used?  Would you give it to
DC13 or something else?  You would be happy with the price of Le Camp?
You would want to see better accommodation, sponsoring more
participants, more hardware resources, or some other direction?

While I realise it has already been agreed that DC13 goes to
Switzerland, I feel that the anticipated subsidies from Swiss
foundations are fundamental to the budget.  I also feel that question
(e) is the type of thing sponsors will be thinking about in their own
minds - so if we can't each answer that question ourselves, we will
struggle to convince sponsors.