Re: [Debconf-team] DC13 sponsoring brochure, sponsorship levels

On 07/09/12 03:03, Luca Capello wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 14:03:01 +0200, Luca Capello wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 14 Aug 2012 09:20:25 +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
>>
>>> So my idea would be to go with <2000, 2000+, 6000+, 12000+ and 25k+.
>>>
>> These new levels are even more similar to last year ones and given that
>> I was proposing even higher ones, I added them to the staging brochure:
>>
>>   <http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debconf-data?view=revision&revision=3668>
>>
>> We need to decide once and for all the final levels no later than the
>> next IRC meeting and thus I would suggest to have all the remaining
>> discussions before Monday (the meeting date has not been decided yet, so
>> let me play safe).  However, I should admit that I lost track of what
>> still needs to be addressed.
>>
> Two weeks passed and there were no new comments on this list about such
> levels, which are still the ones present in the current brochure (line
> 360 at [1]).  There were comments during the last IRC meeting [2], but
> no final decision except for the fact that Didier and myself should
> contact the RMLL/LSM organizers for their feedback [3].
>
> [1] <http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debconf-data/dc13/sponsorship-brochure/brochure.en.tex?revision=3689&view=markup>
> [2] <http://meetbot.debian.net/debconf-team/2012/debconf-team.2012-08-21-17.54.log.html#l-332>
> [3] <http://meetbot.debian.net/debconf-team/2012/debconf-team.2012-08-21-17.54.log.html#l-378>
>
> Given that we need to go forward (at least two possible sponsors are
> waiting for the brochure), I propose to discuss the final levels
> *before* the next IRC meeting, i.e. before 2012-09-18 [4], and to agree
> on them no later than that meeting.  I am going to contact the RMLL/LSM
> organizers and I will send feedbacks here.

One more suggestion about levels: when you set exact figures, you may
actually encourage some people to donate less than they really would.
E.g. if someone can afford CHF 15,000, they will only donate CHF 12,000,
so we `lose' an imaginary CHF 3,000.  There is no perfect solution, but
one thing comes to mind: CHF 25,000 should be the minimum, not fixed
amount for Platinum.  Platinum sponsors could be invited to `bid', and
the highest bid has a special status as `major sponsor'.  Their name
goes in the <title/> tag for the web site, and other special stuff where
we can only fit one name.  E.g. `major sponsor' on the front and sleeves
of the T-shirts, other platinum sponsors on the back.  However, every
company that makes a bid will be a platinum sponsor and get all the
regular platinum benefits.

The sponsor brochure probably needs to include the tax status for
foreign sponsors; Phillip commented on this the other day

Was it finally agreed to use CHF as the currency for sponsor
agreements?  This is clearly the simplest solution and would avoid any
need to discuss exchange rate risk, but it may be awkward for foreign
sponsors if the CHF goes up again, maybe the brochure could include a
polite reminder that if they pay early, there is no exchange rate risk?

One further observation, it may solve both the tax and exchange rate
problem in one go:

a) Swiss sponsors pay in CHF and pay the money to the DebConf13
association.  The DebConf13 association uses that money to pay Swiss
contracts in CHF subject to local tax procedures.

b) foreign sponsors make donations to their local Debian association.
Local Debian associations then allocate the cash in local currency to
pay travel sponsorship.

c) if foreign Debian associations have leftover cash, it is remitted to
the Debconf13 association, but maybe those transactions are subject to
tax and exchange rate risk.  However, the net amount of tax is lower
because some money (travel sponsorship) was fully processed outside
Switzerland.

This suggestion would imply a need for two versions of the brochure.