Re: [Debconf-team] DC13 Venue constraints

Hi Gaudenz,

thanks for this mail. A few comments below...

On Montag, 13. August 2012, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
> ** Goals for tonight's meeting **
>
> Define realistic criteria for a DebConf venue in Switzerland:
> - What is the minimal amount of people we have to be able to accomodate
>   in close proximity to the venue (walking distance)?
> - How many of those should be sponsored?
> - How much sponsorship money can we realistically expect?
> - How far away from the closest airport should the venue be at the
>   maximum (hours of travel, changes of train, bus)?
> - What do we have to achieve in negotation with Le Camp to have DC
>   there?

I dont think it's useful to have a static list of achivals for tomorrows
meeting with the Le Camp, instead I think we should discuss the issues we
think will be problematic with them and ask them, how they think we can solve
them together. They might have ideas we haven't had.

> I would really like to keep the discussion focused on these points. And
> to be as open as possible to all options.

which reminds me... the doodle poll asked for 2h, I think this is too much. I
think we should aim at 90min. 10min for dc12, 50min for this, and 30min for
dc13 practical points (we have quite a lot).

if we then still need more time, so be it, but I'd like the meeting moderators
to try to go with some finite timeline.

> ** Facts about Le Camp **
>
> - 325 beds

this wasnt a concern to me, as camping was possible.

(see http://meetbot.debian.net/debconf-team/2012/
 debconf-team.2012-02-20-19.03.log.html#l-47 for this claim)

Personal camping only made the budget calculation _way more_ "acceptable" as
it would mean no accomodation costs for those people!

> - Alternativ accomodation "nearby":
	[does not really exists. one needs cars... so doable, but.]
> - Camping on the site may not be possible, but still unknown if we
>   can find a lawn in walking distance for camping.

I think we should maximize efforts on this. One friendly farmer could vaporize
hours of heated discussion with a smile ;-)

> - They can probably cook for more than 325 people and the main
>   auditorium has more than 325 places. Enough rooms for hacklabs and
>   smaller talk rooms.

good

> [3] Melchtal and Fiesch: The manager of Fiesch was not willing to
> even discuss anything more than 1 year in advance

it's now less than a year in advance :-D

cheers,
	Holger