Re: [Debconf-team] [Debconf13-localteam] DC13 sponsoring brochure, sponsorship levels

Sorry for the delay in answering.

> > (...)
> > And yes... Raising 200,000 CHF still... makes me shiver :-( I just
> > hope we can make it. Keeping a "plan B" in case we don't should be a
> > priority :-/
>
> Gunnar, I completely understand the above and I think everyone in the
> localteam already got it.  But, speaking for myself and not for the
> whole team, can we please stop remarking it?

Right, and I apologize for it. Sometimes we get in a feedback loop
and, without the people who did the analysis and the real work in the
field, we kept amplifying the noise ;-)

> We will for sure keep a "plan B", but IMHO we should not expect so many
> cost reductions.  And I do not think that the "plan B" should be a
> priority, instead the other way around: looking as much as possible for
> sponsors for "plan A" is what we should do until the end of this year.

Right. The soul of the Swiss bid is to have DebConf *not* in a big
city. So, lets keep our energies focused on it. But as long as
possible, please keep some base providers/prices monitored, in case a
plan B *is* required. Hopefully it won't.

> > Right, the order can be set according to the exact amount, but the
> > size should be comparable. And comparable still leaves a lot of
> > ambiguity - A 200x10 logo is much more visible than a 45x45 one, even
> > though it has a very similar area.
>
> Got it, thanks.  Are all these dimensions explained/set somewhere?

People who have worked with the website, please? I remember having
this discussion, but don't have more details.

> >> Is this really true? I'm not aware that we are in need of any hardware
> >> for DebConf at the moment. I would avoid this because im my experience
> >> companies that actually sell hardware or services that we might use tend
> >> to prefer to donate this instead of money. But we mostly need money, not
> >> hardware or services. If companies ask we can always negotiate
> >> something, but I would not offer this possibility upfront.
> >
> > I think we can kep this possibility open - in case we need it. Of
> > course, we should not accept hardware we don't need. But remember that
> > Debconf-is-Debian. We can get a server donation as part of Debian's
> > hardware replacement program, saving debian the equivalent money, and
> > getting it from the inside.
>
> Should I completely remove that part for the next level proposal?

I think we should keep it and even encourage it. Again, if Debian is
looking out to spend some thousands of euros in nice servers, and a
company gives us equivalent servers for DebConf, the servers will be
Debian's - And the money could be transfered (completely inside
Debian's budget) to the DebConf budget.

Of course, if we get a van full of old SparcStations, it would not
amount to sponsorship at all, as it's not hardware useful for Debian
(that I know of, of course).