Re: [Debconf-team] Cancellation policy

On 02/08/12 11:22, Giacomo Catenazzi wrote:
> On 31.07.2012 18:02, Moray Allan wrote:
>> We should create a cancellation policy.  This might just be that
>> DebConf registration fees are non-refundable.  Or, that they are
>> non-refundable after some date a few months before the conference.  In
>> either case, it probably needs a few more terms inspired by whatever
>> other events say.  Ideas?

Some people have annual travel insurance

If they don't, they could insure for attending DebConf

There is a gotcha: for non-business travel insurance, the person may not
be insured for conference fees.  They may just be able to claim flights,
accommodation and food - but not conference fees.  The insurance policy
usually says they can ONLY claim these costs if the accommodation is
non-refundable

Therefore, to make it as easy as possible for people

a) DebConf should give people a bill or receipt that shows how much
money they paid for their accommodation and food,

b) the document needs to say it is non-refundable and non-transferable

If there is a friendly cancellation policy, then it will mean people
won't be able to reclaim money from travel insurance.

> I'm not sure. With a strict non-refundable policy, maybe some people
> will wait more before to proceed to the payment (and IIRC most of
> attendees paid in last 1 to 2 months) anyway.

That is true: that is why many events give people a discount for early
payment (as well as the currency exchange benefits hinted at in the
other discussion thread)

People don't even have to pay all the money up front - just a 20%
non-refundable deposit and they can be guaranteed the cheaper price

> OTOH we have high costs, so probably the cost of money transfer (on both
> direction) should be paid by the professionals.

The cost of travel insurance may be less than such fees

> BTW in the cancellation policy we should allow substitution of persons
> with no costs.

Such a clause may need to explain that the substitute can not be a
person who already committed to attend and hasn't paid

Otherwise, the total number of attendees (and thus total revenue) could fall