Re: [Debconf-team] Cancellation policy

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 10:02 AM, Moray Allan <moray@sermisy.org> wrote:
> We should create a cancellation policy.  This might just be that
> DebConf registration fees are non-refundable.

"Cancellation is fully refundable, but will be automatically
transferred into a voluntarily donation to the DebConf organization
budget."

I get more and more the impression, that DebConf Attendees, especially
professionl/corporate ones, have more rights than anybody of the
people - (local)team - investing half their lifetime to make the
meeting possible...

And in this formulation is maybe the problem/the difference.

DebConf is - from my feeling and understanding of it - *not* a
conference in the sense of a professional conference of any product
developed and/or supported or driven by a company. It is a meeting for
the volunteer developers and contributors that make Debian possible,
organized by the same(or nearly) people in the same volunteer fashion,
to keep budget low and that way allow also people who otherwise cannot
afford it to join the meeting. It should be kept like that, IMHO.

Anybody who's joining the meeting for commercial/professional purposes
is very much invited to do so, can even come without a fee when not
using food and accomodation services(or do I get that wrong?), but has
to accept that organization of all the procedures is made by
volunteers and might therefore lack some of the features of
superprofessional and commercial conferences(which cost easily about
three times as much for a third of the timespan, without accomodation)
and has to prepare at own budget and initiative if such eventual
limitations don't fit the needs.

IMHO that also applies for refunds.The fee is so ridiculously low,
anybody who might think over not to join, and being a halfway decent
professional, making money with Debian related things, should easily
be able to pay it as a donation in that rare case.

oh, did i get into a rage?! Sweet :)

Henning