Re: [Debconf-team] "Quote" for music during Conference Dinner

Hi,

cc:ing team because this indeed doesnt belong to accounting+chairs alone.
(like many other mails)

On Montag, 2. Juli 2012, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> Felix Delattre dijo [Mon, Jul 02, 2012 at 01:30:45AM -0600]:
> > Dear accounting and coordination teams (global and local),
> >
> > there is the idea of having a nice complementary of Nicaraguan music
> > during the Conference Dinner. The place (Rancho of the Tiscapa Lagoon)
> > is going to be provided and prepared by the government. The food is, as
> > far as I know, included in the food team budget (and quote). So, i just
> > want to ask if you think it would be good to spend US$ 200 to have a
> > nice Nicaraguan band playing for us this night.
> >
> > I don't think this is absolutely necessary, but it would be nice to
> > have, spending money on people doing arts (instead of companies) and it
> > would not be a lot of money.
>
> IMO this is not expensive and we could approve it... It is not, as you
> say, a _needed_ expense, but it can be a nice and well-remembered
> add-on. However, the difference between a "nice Nicaraguan band" and a
> "loud cacophony of sounds that played all the time" can make the
> difference for many people. It has to be something compatible with a
> nice evening and leave room for talking and enjoying, regardless of
> your musical tastes!
>
> This is something we *have* paid for in the past, and *I* would like
> to have a band. But we must make sure it is not a nightmare for
> anybody.
>
> And yes, US$200 seems like a very decent price. How much is the food
> part of the dinner quoted? In the budget estimate I don't see any
> specific expense tied to it other than this proposed US$200. I
> understand we are not paying for the place, but I guess the food
> itself will be worth more than the $5.5 we are paying per person for
> our regular meals..?

as discussed already here, we should hire them, offer them 200 USD, then pass
a hat around to collect money, then, _if we get less than 200 USD_ pay the
rest from the dc12 budget and pass it on to the musicians.

i'm quite sure this will get them more than 200 USD :-)

cheers,
	Holger