[Debconf-team] keeping track of food (was: Re: budget status (was: Re: Status on Brandts Hotel))

On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 04:19:17AM -0400, Richard Darst wrote:

> Still, everyone should be in full-on "penny-pinching" mode.  a) Try to
> reduce food costs as much as possible via good application of a meal
> ticket system.

It would be amazing if this could happen:

today, someone goes and copies onto the wiki number of expected meals
based on current attendees: only-reconfirmed/food-by-date.txt, or
whatever it is people are using.  Try to separate this by "paid by us"
(sponsored + professional) and "paid by attendees themselves".

Then, each day, add to the wiki: number of meal tickets given out.
Number of meal tickets people pay for.

Then, we can compare these two values after the conference, and see
the fraction of meals we actually use.  Food costs are one of the
hardest things to predict, and having good records would be amazing
for future planning.

- Richard