Re: [Debconf-team] DebConf12-Water

Aura Lila Gutierrez Tejada <lila2390@gmail.com> writes:

> 2012/5/24 Felix Delattre <linux@delattre.de>
>
>> On 05/24/2012 03:18 PM, Felix Delattre wrote:
>> > Hello team,
>> >
>> > the local food team has a doubt concerning the water. Holger took the
>> > water from the tap during his trip here and we all drink from the tap.
>> > But some of us use filters or purified water (at least at home). We want
>> > you to provide guaranteed good water and propose two options:
>> >
>> > == 1. Ceramic water filters ==
>>

> bottled water is the best option as it has gone through several processes
> of cleaning, and that means less sick people :) the plastic bottles can be
> recycled and recover the 20 dollars or donate them so another person can
> recycle

In the US, bottled water is regulated under a different agency than the
one that regulates regular 'tap' water. As a result, bottled water has
been shown to be less clean and safe than tap water. Bottled water
companies are also not under any obligation to provide a detailed
account of any testing or contaminant level violations. Municipal water
systems are required to test for harmful microbiological content in
their water several times *a day*, where bottled water companies are
required to test for these microbes only once a week.

I dont know the situation there, and I presume that bottled water *is*
more safe than tap water in Nicaragua. However, even with recycling,
plastic waste is a huge problem[0] on a global scale.

If its true that the work involved in maintaining the 'ceramic' water
filters will be more than volunteer labor is going to be able to handle,
then I would suggest that the larger tank option be pursued.

micah

ps - i'd volunteer to be part of the waterboy team, but I dont think I
will make it this year :(

0. See the Pacific Trash Vortex:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Pacific_Garbage_Patch often
considered to be composed largely of plastic bottles, bags, nurdles and
other waste