Re: [Debconf-team] Question for DebConf13 bids: Costs

On 25 January 2012 21:32, Moray Allan <moray@sermisy.org> wrote:
> It appears (sponsorship team please correct me here), that the
> monetary sponsorship brought in for DebConf11 was less than €40 000.

Does that include people with professional/corporate participation level?

> DebConf13 bids: if approximately that amount of money was brought in
> from the traditional category of DebConf sponsors, how would you make
> the finances balance to allow DebConf to happen in the venue you
> propose?

If those are the numbers, that I don't expect it to be possible to
balance the budget in Riga.

My current estimates for 300 people show that 40k € would about cover
two meals a day and small ticket items like tshirts, paper bags and
cables and stuff with nothing left over for daytrip, formal diner,
accomodation or travel sponsorship.

Even if I get the hostel option figured out (which is not a given) the
food+accomodation budget would be at best at 30-35 € per person per
day, which at our current calculation of 195 people on average over 15
days comes out to 88k-103k€ total budget. Add to that 3k-4k € for
shirts and paper bags, 6k € for formal diner, 6k-10k € for the day
trip (more precise estimate is curently being worked on). Add this
together and it simply can not be done for cheaper than 100k € here.

I do not expect to be able to raise the difference in Latvia. We we
one of the hardest hit countries in this economy, it was an unexpected
miracle that we survived. The companies here simply do not have the
resources for any non-essential things. Maybe by some miracle by 2013
they will recover, but I cann't bet on that.

If we can only expect 40k € coming in from global sources, then there
is little point in looking for cheaper options - there are no options
that cheap. The only solution then is to look for sponsors. Both
global sponsors taht would not care where the even thappens and
sponsors that do care about the location, and then the money will
naturally decide on which even can first get their bugdet together.

--
Best regards,
    Aigars Mahinovs        mailto:aigarius@debian.org